So many of you have voted at the Active911 idea portal to tell us that chat notifications and chat by group were needed features for the Active911 app, and we listened.
We are happy to introduce these features to the latest version of the Active911 Android and iOS apps to help make communication easier and more seamless for your agency.
An Overview of Chat by Group
With this new feature, your chats will go out to your entire page group, and those group members will be notified of your message without receiving an Alert. Any individual will be able to initiate chats in any unlocked group. Your notification settings for chat by group will mirror those that you have set for that agency. The “Everyone” group still works the same.
You can Favorite certain groups so they are always easily accessible, and you’ll also always be able to see the three most recent groups that you have been active in. It’s also possible to search for groups by name.
Notifications by Group
There are three options for notifications:
- Receive alerts when the app is CLOSED: You will get chat notifications whether the app is open or closed.
- Receive alerts when the app is OPEN: You will only get chat notifications when the app is open.
- NONE: Receive no chat notifications.
These settings are labeled the same in Android and iOS.
Please note that we introduced this feature with the default for chat notifications set to NONE. This is to prevent your phone from blowing up before you are familiar with the feature.
Not getting notifications? Check these three things first:
- Is your phone’s external sound control set to silent?
- Do you have notifications enabled for the Active911 app in your general settings?
- Do you have chat notifications enabled within your page groups?
How to Use Chat by Group and Turn on Notifications:
Turning on Notifications:
- Go to the settings in your Active911 app
- Scroll down to your agency and tap on “Chat Notifications”
3. There you can select to receive messages when the app is open, closed, or none.
How to chat by group:
- Tap on the chat icon in the menu bar.
- The main chat tab will show all of your agencies that have chat turned on by an admin.
- Tap on an agency and now you will see a favorites, recent, and groups sections.
4. Tap on a group to send messages to people in that group.
5. In the top right corner of a group is a star. If you tap on this star, you will favorite that group. This means that you will receive notifications for that group (if you have those turned on), and it will appear at the top of all the groups.
Questions? Please email email@example.com or call (541) 223-7992 to talk to a real-life support tech 24/7.