Backend Update – Bugfix: The app taking a long time to load recent alerts

We made a change to the access server this week that will help people who have multiple agencies with the same device code. There was a bug that could introduce long load times for alerts when you opened the app after a certain period of time.

Basically, whenever our app is opened it calls our access server for all of the unread alerts for that device, then attempts to download the alerts that have been sent while the app was closed. When devices did this, they did it for all the agencies they had ever been a part of. If you were part of a department a year ago, we were still trying to get all the messages sent to that department since you had left. Depending on how busy that department was, it could add anything from seconds to minutes to the message downloading process.

To fix this issue, the initial call for what alerts your device needs to download longer try to get ones that belong to agencies you are no longer a part of. We still keep those alerts in the database, so if you accidentally remove yourself from an agency and then add yourself back, your device will be able to fetch those unread alerts.

It took us a long time to recognize the problem, but we fixed it as soon as we figured it out. For everyone impacted by this bug, we thank you for your patience and apologize for not finding it sooner.